Sunday, May 5, 2013

Hard to believe, but...

It's crazy how fast time flies! I am leaving for Spain at the end of this week. I've imagined the day coming quite a few times, but now that it is almost here I do not know what to expect. I feel like I am not prepared at all, but when I sit down and try to figure out the things I have left to do, that list is very minimal. I think the trip is just something I'm going to feel unprepared for until I do it.

Speaking of these last few days, it is SOOOO unbelievably hard to focus. I sit down and try to study or get something accomplished, and my brain quickly wanders to Spain. I visualize situations in my mind, or pull up Google and look at pictures of Avila or things to do in Spain or other random study abroad information. I will be so relieved when I am done with my last two finals here and can put all of my focus on Spain.

I have very mixed emotions about the whole situation at the moment. Obviously, yes, I am so super excited and that's what people expect when they ask me about it. But I'm also very nervous! This is a huge change for me and something I have never done and not very experienced with. I've been doing a lot of "what-if?" thinking, on the excited side and the nervous side. What if I land in Madrid and can't remember my Spanish? What if I get lost walking around the city? What if my classes are super hard? What if I don't get along with my family? What if I become really homesick? What if my Spanish skills aren't as good as I expect them to be? And then there's the excited part of it... I can't wait to try all the new foods. I can't wait to meet so many new people. I can't wait to take millions of pictures and see the beautiful scenery. I can't wait to wear shorts and flip-flops and be tan. I can't wait to improve my language skills. 

The mix of all these hypothetical situations is just crazy at the moment, but once I'm there I'm sure it'll all disappear and I'll just absorb and love everything that is happening around me. I'll have about a day at home to finalize things and finish up my packing and then I'll be off! I'm hoping I don't forget anything I really need, but I can always just buy it there I suppose! 

While I'm in Spain, I'm going to try to stay off of my Facebook and Twitter as much as I can, because I want to be focused on life in Spain and not tied to everything back home. So if you want to see what I'm up to, checking this blog is probably your best bet! If you have a question or want to tell me something, leave me a comment on here or shoot me an email! Or a Facebook message... I'll get to it eventually. We all know I can't stay off Facebook for a very long period of time. 

Well, I should probably get back to my studying. If my brain will focus and cooperate. Have a wonderful week! I know mine will be crazy intense!

No comments:

Post a Comment