Monday, June 3, 2013

London: Arrival/Day 1

Wow!! This weekend in London flew by so quickly! I did/saw so many amazing things and it was one of the best trips I have ever taken. I am so glad we decided to go to London and so glad I went with such amazing girls. I didn't have a very good Wi-Fi connection at our hostel and wouldn't have been able to upload any pictures, so I've been saving my blogging until now! I feel like I have so much to say though! Well, I'll start from the beginning and see how it goes! :)

The post below this one has a little blurb about our flight to London and what went on when we got there. So basically, we flew from Madrid to London-Gatwick and arrived at 8:30am on Friday morning. London has 4 airports, and they are all pretty far out from the city center where all of the cool stuff is. We found our way through the airport and took a bus to Victoria. The bus ride was an hour and a half long! It's crazy how far out the airports are. We walked around for a little bit and looked at some shops and got some food, and then decided to walk to our hostel. Our hostel was about an hour-long walk from where we were, so we trekked on for a while and then took a little siesta break in a sunny park. Our bags were getting really heavy and the walk was getting long. We finally made it to our hostel and got checked in. We stayed in a 15-bed girls room, and check out the beds! Yeah--triple bunks! It was so weird. I've never seen triples before. I was sleeping on the bottom of the one on the left there. It was quite the adventure. There were only a few other girls in the room, not the full 15, but one of them was a lady, probably in her 40s or 50s who we are pretty sure is living there. She must be trying to find a job or something and needs a cheap place to stay, but that's seriously weird.


We relaxed and unpacked for a little bit, and then got ready for the evening! Shanna and Emily and I went to see Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theater! We were a bit touristy before hand and took pictures here outside the theater.


I had never seen Wicked live before, but I am very familiar with the music. We had tickets in the second row  on the right/center side, and being that close to the performance was incredible! It felt like we were part of the show. I fell in love with it from the start. The actors were so talented and the music was insanely good. We were able to see the emotion and expression in the actors' faces since we were so close, and it really drew me in and made the performance so much more emotional and intense. Defying Gravity (if you know what that song/part is) was mind-blowing. The special effects they had here really added to the show as well. Shanna and Emily and I could not get over how awesome it was! I don't really know how to describe it, so I'll leave it at that. I can't believe I was able to see such an amazing show in London! I am so thankful we decided to go and it was the perfect way to start off our London weekend :) Such a fun night with these two great girls!


After Wicked we reunited with Abbey and walked around a little bit downtown, but then took the tube back toward our hostel. The tube is the Subway system in London, and I will have to write a little more about that in a later post about London in general. Haha. But that was Day 1! We spent a lot of time walking and trying to figure out where we were, but Wicked was a phenomenal start to my London experience.

This is all I'm going to write for tonight, but I'll try to add details from the rest of the weekend tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment